Sunday, March 8, 2015

Back Again With the Rag Dolls

Rag Dolls!!!
My three Rag Dolls: Wednesday, Mona, and Alice.
So this week we're revisiting the Rag Doll pattern (here's the link to the first Rag Doll post). I managed to pull out two of these girls. Love my Wednesday doll I made and really want to keep her. I had some fun playing with their hair this week as well. I did forget to get to get more pictures of these two. But I have a few more then the last time I did a post on this pattern.
Head/Body of . . . we'll call her Mona?

Wednesday in pieces

I'm not sure why I wanted to make a Wednesday doll but I'm glad I did. I think she came out super cute, even if I had originally planed to crochet her collar. Because of the weight of the yarn I used for her skin tone she came out a bit bigger then the other two girls, and her dress is smaller for the same reason. Yarn weight matters people, just as much as your hook size.
I chose to give her little white socks instead of the black tights purely because I didn't want all the black to be over powering on this doll. And I stand by that choice. Wednesday Adams might be a child of the night but on something like this there is such a thing as too much black. Again I am super tempted to keep her for myself. And am very happy her pig tails came out so well. They aren't braided because of the bulk of so much hair, but I don't think that takes away from her either. 

It was interesting to pick out Mona's colors because I had no clue what I was gonna do with her. I had this darker tan body with an orange bottom. I'm glad she came together and looks great with the yellow, orange, gray combo. I was a little scared that these three colors wouldn't come together and I'd have to try something else. I'm also glad that the black belt stripe I put in her dress came out so well too. It was another element I was nervous about working. She was also going to have just dark brown hair but I didn't have enough of the yarn I picked out so she got the black as well, mid design changes aren't all bad. I played around with her hair a little and gave her a fish tail braid. Its super cute and since its not tided off you can always take it out and give her wild hair (like Alice) or split it into pig tails, even try to french braid it if you'd like.

I'm in love with this pattern. The hair is the most laborious part of the whole design but its a labor of love. And made easier if you outline the hair line first. Trust me on that one. The boots are also a bit that needs all your attention but as long as you follow the pattern your in for easy work. 
The only piece of this pattern that I have yet to use are the boot cuffs. I thought about putting them on Mona, but decided not to in the end. Looking at that part of the pattern, I feel there my be a better way to do them. Maybe try them next time??

▪ Pattern Readability - 3.5 Yarn Balls, only because the way its written is different from the normal crochet vernacular. If your not used to this pattern it can trip you up pretty bad, especially when you get to the boots.
 
▪ Ease of Pattern - 4 Yarn Balls, only reason its not a 5 is because of the readability. Fairly simple pattern to follow otherwise.
 
▪ Adjustments - 4 Yarn Balls, I changed how the whole arm comes together and it made a big difference in assembly.  Plus making the leg design work for what you want to do is simple and so is the dress design.
 
▪ Final Product - 5 Yarn Balls all day long. Weather you change it up like I have or just follow the pattern straight on it is an excellent final project.
 
▪ Personal - 5 Yarn Balls. I even like the laborious parts to this project. Too much fun with these girls.
 
▪Overall Score - 4.3 Yarn Balls. This could have rated higher if it wasn't for the pesky wording.

So along with my crocheting this week and part of last week I've been watching this AWESOME sci-fi show, Farscape. I wish I had know about it when it was on the air over a decade ago but alas I missed it. But Netflix is awesome to have its 4 seasons. Unfortunately I'm almost to the end, and have to find somewhere to watch the two part ending (or at least I think thats what the Peacekeeper Wars are). This show is like Battlestar Galactica and Firefly combined, but with more aliens. So much love for all these shows. If you like your Sci-Fi, you should watch all three of these for mentioned shows.
Before my binge watching of the lovely Farscape, it was Once Upon A Time, up to the current season and before that is was the last couple seasons of Bones (I'd already seen the first 5 or 6 seasons before I stopped watching when it aired). All stating from the beginning of February. I'm a marathoner of television when I crochet, its what I do. I really do have to have something to watch, but sometimes I can get away with audio books when I crochet. I only run into small problems doing that when I have to read the pattern closely, I stop listening to the audio when I do that. So I opt for watching movies or t.v. shows instead.

As for next week I'm gonna take a break. We're getting closer than ever to starting the kitchen and I think a break from projects is in order. I will say that I might pick up a few of my unfinished projects or start on something for the following week, but its still gonna be a laid back week for me. So take care my lovelies, and hopefully I have something to post about other then what the new weeks project will be next Sunday.

As always you guys can find me on Etsy 
and don't forget to like me on Facebook
 
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment