Sunday, April 5, 2015

Its Easter and the Yoshi is back

Happy Zombie Jesus Day Everyone!!
http://www.embiearts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dino-Easter-1.jpg
Found this on the net and I just love it to death!

I think this week went pretty well. Made a few of the adjustments I talked about in my last Yoshi post.
Like: -Using the bubble stitch for his thumbs was so much easier, and it worked out great too. That is now a permanent change to this pattern for the future. It really just looks a lot better for the final product and is easier to work up rather then follow what they tried to do.
-His boots were another story all together. I probably spent the better part of 5 hours figuring out the best way to make these boots work for me (no joke, 5-ish hours. I think I tried half a dozen ways before finding the modification). And the way I did the pattern could probably be done more eloquently, but I was working it how I best could. Not sure if I've mentioned this before but I'm not a huge fan of making my own patterns or a HUGE modification of someone elses. Did that last summer when I made a big black widow for someone (Pictures on my Facebook page. Link for that down below). I couldn't find a pattern so I wrote one up. Its a really big pain. That could change in the future but at this point, not the biggest fan of pattern writing. And to make things more frustrating when I went to use the pattern I made (maybe two days later?), I had issues following it because I seemed to have left a bit out (it was a comma, but it was important in the placement of that row. I was also tired at the time). Grrrrr! After a few boots I figured out what my problem was. But damn it was annoying. But I think I'm gonna keep my janky boot pattern anyway. The size is much bigger than the original patterns and I think the bigger boot suits Yoshi. Its better balance on the doll, plus after looking at reference pictures online it is kinda his thing. Let me know what you guys think, I can always use the input.
But I have a Yellow and Green Yoshi at the end of the week. YAY!! Thanks again to a few of my Facebook friends who helped me decided on the green Yoshi's boot color. Couldn't pick between the red or brown. We went with brown as you can see from the pictures (which is more burnt orange but it was the best I had in the weight I needed. I think they work well). 

You can see in this last picture with all three of the Yoshi's I've made, that the boots are better on the new Yellow and Green ones as apposed to the purple ones. Or at least I think so. 

Rating-
▪ Pattern Readability - 3 Yarn Balls. Very well written pattern for the pieces of the doll. Not so easy to follow the assembly instructions though.
 
▪ Ease of Pattern - 5 Yarn Balls. Pattern pieces work up great, there are a lot of them (21).
 
▪ Adjustments - 3 Yarn Balls. The boot thing knocked this down two points for me. The original pattern for them is just so. . . Blarg
 
▪ Final Product - 5 Yarn Balls. After getting through all the 'growing pains' he works out great.
 
▪ Personal -  4.5 Yarn Balls. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a hell of a time with the boot pattern mod, it would be a 5. They come out so darn cute!
 
▪Overall Score - 4.1 Yarn Balls
 
Dang I think he hit one of my lowest scores to date. But still an awesome pattern I think.
I hope everyone had a happy holiday weekend. We just had a simple family dinner around here. 

So for this week I'm not sure what I'm gonna work on for the blog here, but I don't think it will be crocheted whatever I end up working on. I do have a long To Do list to accomplish this week and most of it isn't all that fun.
  • Go through emails
  • Get those pesky taxes done
  • Take the car to DEQ
  • Work on shop listings
General house keeping type stuff. But it must be done. So I'll find something fun to craft up and talk about next Sunday. Until then. . .

As always you guys can find me on Etsy
and don't forget to like me on Facebook

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment